Scrivener and the MFA

I may have mentioned it before, but if not here’s a catch-up. I’m starting to use Scrivener for my writing projects. I first found out about it from a post by Charles Stross some time ago, and I began experimenting with it just after I completed my MA – downloaded the application in January of 2011, I think.

I tinkered with it and loaded some existing projects into it and like the gifted writer procrastinator that I am, let it all si, going back occasionally to fiddle with some of the views and oooh and ah over the workspace, but never did much actual, you know, work. To many options, and while the very basic operations are intuitive, getting some of the other settings positioned for how I might want to work wasn’t (entirely).

Then, I finally decided to commit to actually start using the software, got the “My-Tips-For-Using-Scrivener” ebook by David Hewson and really started to fiddle with some of the settings – realizing that some of what I was trying to do was really a lot easier than I thought – and have gotten to the point where I have a general template for my (intended) longer projects.

The only catch is going to come with the sharing of material for workshopping. The preferred format is a Word file (for adding comments electronically), which an export to Word is entirely feasible option (both will just involve a quick learning curve – how to export and how to insert comments in Word).

Over the last couple of weeks, with a template in place, I’ve been starting to integrate a couple of the older projects I’ve been sitting on into a proper Scrivener set-up (read – break apart into component scenes/moments) – which is really the part I was dreading the entire time.

In all, I can’t help but recommend the software… it might take a little bit to get used to it, but it really does help with many aspects of managing a writing project.

%d bloggers like this: